1. Please call or send us an email. We know that for some, this can be the toughest step of all. Making the decision to sell your business is not easy. As a business owner you ARE your business and letting go can be very difficult. Owners usually make the decision to sell their businesses for personal reasons, such as retirement, health problems, partner issues and othter family concerns. Whatever your reasons are, we respect how difficult it can be to take this very important step and we are ready to help you with this incredibly important decision.
2. After we have communicated, we usually set up a discreet and confidential meeting if you think that your company and our services may be a good match. We hold this meeting at either your business so you can show us around or we meet at our office in Sudbury, MA. We'll get to know each other better at this meeting. We understand that you need to feel comfortable with us. This will give you an opportunity to learn more about us and to discuss the business sales process. It is also a way for us to learn more about your business and you. Every business is different and no business is perfect. We'll use this time to begin strategizing about what we need to do to really maximize the sale value of your company.
3. We'll discuss a preliminary valuation of your business, (if we haven't done so already), at the first meeting. We'd also like to get an idea of what you think your business is worth. We can give you some feedback about the current market for your business. Who are the buyers? What skills will they need? How will they pay for the business? What can you expect down the road? We'll answer these questions and more!
4. Feel free to ask us questions at this first meeting. Nothing is off limits. There are no secrets. The more you know, the better we can work together. You should always feel that you can communicate with us about anything that is of concern to you.
5. We will construct our own financial
analysis of your business. Keep in mind that your accountant prepares your tax returns
with the goal of showing as little profit as possible in
order to reduce your taxes. We do the exact opposite and reconstruct your tax return or profit and loss
statement to show the TRUE profit your business makes! If
toot your own horn, no one will do it for you! Its up to us to
find out what is great about your business and make sure that prospective
buyers will learn about it.
10. The offers for your business will start coming in. If
we've done a good job of pricing, describing, and marketing your
business, there will be interested buyers. As the
buyers contact us we send them a confidentiality agreement and
buyer registration form if we don't have one on file already. We
also speak with them at length to get a feel for what they are
looking for and to make sure that your business is a good match